At St John’s Catholic Primary School Auburn we wholeheartedly believe that every student has the potential to learn when they are actively engaged in well-planned and resourced learning opportunities.
We value the varying cultures and languages of our families and our staff are highly skilled at implementing learning programs that will enable all learners to become competent and confident users of English.
We believe that parents play an important role in encouraging their children to persevere and achieve their learning goals
Our School Wide Pedagogy
We plan by
- Class teachers and specialist teachers working together to inspire children to achieve
- Identifying the essential vocabulary that children will to understand new content
- Assessing the students to inform the learning programs
- Choosing experiences that will interest and engage our students “hooking them into their learning”
- Selecting quality literature and resources that enable creative and critical thinking
- Sequencing learning so that students can build on what they already know
We teach by
Modelling successful learning
- Giving students the opportunity to use and apply new language in speaking and listening activities that they can apply to reading and writing all curriculum areas
- Identifying the learning intention and success criteria so that our students can reflect on and measure their learning and set set future goals
- Giving our children the opportunities to apply their learning, and practise their skills and knowledge both at school and at home
- Continually monitoring every child’s growth and using this information to plan the next cycle of learning.
- using an experiential and investigative approach
- valuing student voice
We assess by
- using a variety of strategies to enable students to demonstrate their learning
- using evidence to continually monitor student progress
- providing timely and explicit performance based feedback.